Monday, January 20, 2020

Some events you missed... Post #1 - We Were Violated



During the holidays things got a little hectic and I fell behind on posting a bit. So this is an attempt to give you a short blurb about some of the more significant happenings in our lives.

Let's begin with the first real disappointment of our travels so far. We were staying in the Soledad Canyon area of California (about 2 hours east of LA) and decided to go sightseeing in downtown LA. We were about 10 minutes drive from a nice commuter train station so decided to ride the train in to town and leave the Jeep at the train station.



In LA we visited some neat museums, Olvera Street, a couple of parks and some of the normal tourist attractions.










After a great day in the city we hopped aboard the train home for an uneventful ride... Until we got to our Jeep that is.

I found it odd that when I clicked the unlock button, I did not see the light flash. After several clicks and no response I began to worry that somehow the battery had gone dead. Then Cindy tried her door and it was unlocked. Uh oh.

I unlocked my door with the key and found my seat filled with stuff we previously had in the back. I thought I must have forgotten to lock the door and someone had gone through our stuff.



Then I realized the interior light wasn't coming on. Again I thought perhaps a dead battery, now conjecturing that they had turned on the dome light and it had killed the battery. Ugh.

But when I went to open the hood, the latches were undone. As I opened it found the battery cables had been cut.



Upon further investigation I realized the passenger door lock had been punched out. So they had broken in and I summize that triggered the alarm. To kill that they cut the battery cables.



In the end they had only taken some tools but had damaged the door and cut battery cables. Because of that we had to be towed. 



The next day I was able to repair the wiring and get the door lock back in place so we decided not to make an insurance claim. I did however install a hood lock so if it ever happens again, at least they can't silence the alarm.

Life goes on 😁

That's it for this one. The next few installments will all have happy endings. 😀

Next up the Salton Sea and Joshua Tree NP.

Thanks for reading!

Terry and Cindy

Follow our travels in real time on RVillage ( CaTGoss)

No comments:

Post a Comment